Did your mom ever say to you ” If you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.” ? Well mine did…ALL the time!
There are definitely good & not-so-good ways to comment on a blog post. Following are 5 quick tips to keep in mind when commenting:
- Keep it positive and compliment the author. Do it in a specific way by referring back to the one or two thoughts that really had an impact on you.
- Be sure to keep it short and make a point. No rants or rambling!
- Make your comment meaningful by adding your thoughts on the subject. Just saying ” I agree” or “good job” adds no value to the conversation. You will make a more meaningful contribution if you explain WHY you agree or disagree with the post.
- Know what you’re talking about. There is no better way to turn off your audience and undermine your authority then by admitting you don’t know what you are talking about. Do your homework, use other sources to find out more, if necessary, and add content with your comment.
- Proofread! A lot of typos and misspellings is just another way to undermine your authority, and then – well, nobody’s gonna care what you have to say.
Here’s what a couple of young bloggers had to say about good commenting skills.
Using the quicktips above, Post at least 3 positive comments on your classmate’s blogs. Each of these comments should add or contribute something meaningful to the post.